DIRECTOR OF WELLNESS
Amica White Rock
The Director of Wellness directs all aspects of the Wellness Department and implements, manages and evaluates nursing, infection control and other health related programs and procedures at the residence. He/she contributes to move-ins and day to day operations with regard to residents’ levels of care and health needs and provides expert advice on nursing, levels of care, practices and policies, etc.
- Establishes, maintains and manages the development, delivery and performance of nursing, infection control, quality assurance, risk management and other health related programs ensuring that applicable legislative guidelines, best practices and expectations are followed by:
- developing and implementing effective service delivery methods that capture all program elements and ensure accountability at all service levels;
- ensuring appropriate program administration, corporate alignment and legal compliance;
- assessing potential new residents for levels of physical and cognitive functioning and determining level of care within 30 days before move in or on day of move in as per BayBridge policy;
- developing, maintaining and implementing resident personalized plans of care;
- providing information and complaint resolution services to residents and their families;
- ordering nursing supplies and maintaining inventory;
- evaluating pharmacy services on an ongoing basis and ensuring legislative requirements are being followed utilizing the appropriate quality assurance and risk management tools (i.e. storage of narcotics and controlled substances and monthly narcotic audits);
- maintaining complete medical and nursing records management system;
- completing and/or submitting all reports related to nursing as required by applicable legislation;
- following protocols for the investigation of team member and resident incident reports;
- evaluating the effectiveness of all aspects of health and safety policies within the community;
- contributing to the development and coordination of relevant marketing strategies for programs and services;
- responding to unplanned organizational changes;
- continually assessing the role and effectiveness of programs through internal and external performance measures;
- monitoring service delivery, identifying inefficiencies, developing process improvements and investigating and resolving problems and complaints;
- researching and monitoring current developments and trends in retirement care, nursing and infection control to ensure effectiveness, consistency and compliance; and
- contributing to the development, improvement and implementation of service delivery policies, procedures and strategies.
- Organizes and facilitates in-service and continuing education programs related to wellness and nursing.
- Manages Wellness Nurses and Medication Care Partners in the Department to ensure resident care, monitoring and appropriate interaction by:
- forecasting staffing levels, recruiting, supervising, developing, motivating and retaining employees;
- organizing and facilitating onboarding and delegation programs for new team members in the Department;
- preparing the employee schedule within the confines of the corporate policy and collective agreement (if applicable);
- conducting regular team meetings;
- linking individual goals to the organization’s and working with team members to set performance standards that are specific, measurable and manageable;
- disciplining employees, when necessary, within the confines of the corporate policy and collective agreement (if applicable);
- investigating and resolving employee complaints and concerns; and
- identifying employee training and development needs and opportunities to enhance performance and foster growth.
- Fosters and maintains a strong relationship with residents and their families by:
- actively interacting with residents, families and guests in a professional, courteous manner;
- ensuring a hands-on approach through regular visits and assessments of residents, their personalized plans of care and progress notes; and
- being available and flexible to resident and family needs, as required.
- Actively participates as a member of a multi-disciplinary team responsible for resident care and services by:
- collaborating with team members in the development of holistic resident care plans, flow sheets and problem-oriented charting;
- communicating formally and informally with other department heads as part of the management team; and
- promoting collaboration with members of the multi-disciplinary team.
- Provides expert interpretation of wellness procedures and policies to residents, families, medical partners, other departments or service providers, as required.
- Plans for opportunities to collaborate with and within community organizations/agencies.
- Plans and monitors budgeting for the Department and manages financial constraints.
- Keeps the Executive Director promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action, which may be taken.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objectives of the position.
- Ensures that the work environment is safe and healthy. Ensures that own work and the work of all staff is carried out in accordance with applicable environmental, health and safety legislation, policies and procedures and all other legislation, policies and procedures relevant to the work.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the duties outlined above as assigned.
STATEMENT OF (MINIMUM) QUALIFICATIONS
- RPN or RN from a recognized program,
- Current Registered Nurse Certification in good standing with the College of Nurses in the province of jurisdiction
- First Aid and CPR certified
- Five (5) years’ experience as an RPN or RN
- Three (3) years organizational management and leadership experience
- Seniors’ care, aging, dementia and diversity
- Healthcare and memory care issues
- Leadership best practices and principles
- Legislative regulations and policies related to retirement care
- Changes in mobility of seniors and mechanical lifting devices
- Must be familiar with all applicable health and safety legislation, have knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the work place and have knowledge of appropriate actions to be taken in order to ensure the health and safety of staff
Competencies, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to supervise staff, organize and schedule work functions and motivate a team
- Strong oral, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to prepare and administer departmental budgets
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of people
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to treat residents with respect, dignity and care
- Ability to resolve contentious or sensitive issues or situations
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook and electronic care systems
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of resident information
- Ability to work in a flexible environment to meet the needs of the residents, including weekend and holiday coverage, as required
- Demonstrates a strong desire to serve and care for seniors
- Open, friendly and responsive
- Able to apply tact, discretion and sound judgement
- Trustworthy, hands-on leader
- Shows initiative and commitment to excellence
- Resident centred
- Courses in gerontology, aging or dementia are an asset
- Experience with YARDI (electronic care system) preferred
- Experience in a senior living care environment preferred