MEDICATION CARE PARTNER
Maison West Vancouver
The Medication Care Partner provides medication administration support to medically stable residents. The Medication Care Partner also assists residents with all activities of daily living (ADL), including personal hygiene and basic care; observing and reporting any changes in residents’ status to the Director of Wellness or Wellness Nurse.
- Administers medication according to relevant legislative requirements and corporate policies and procedures by:
- Reviews residents’ care plans and provides support with all required activities of daily living including, but not limited to, bathing, toileting, dressing, grooming, mobility, incontinence management, collecting and washing laundry, sorting and storing clean laundry and labeling personal items.
- Monitors and documents residents’ inputs, outputs, vitals, weights, behavior, mobility, safety, involvement in activities and any other changes and reports to appropriate team members.
- Records interventions on flow sheets and reports to registered team.
- Escorts residents to social activity programs, appointments, dining room, etc.
- Promptly answers emergency call systems.
- Assists with move in, discharge and transfer of residents
- Participates in regular in-service training and continuing education programs.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care provided and reports this to registered team.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment and reports any equipment malfunctions.
- Keeps the Director of Wellness promptly and fully informed of all problems or unusual matters of significance and takes prompt corrective action where necessary or suggests alternative courses of action which may be taken.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in a timely and effective manner in accordance with established company policies to achieve the overall objectives of the position.
- Ensures that own work is carried out in accordance with applicable environmental, health and safety legislation, policies and procedures and all other legislation, policies and procedures relevant to the work.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the duties outlined above as assigned.
High School Diploma and completion of an accredited Personal Support Worker program that meets legislative standards
Medication Administration certification
First Aid and CPR certified
Six hundred (600) hours of related experience, including both class time and practical experience, preferably with clinical experience in a geriatric setting
Medication administration standards
Residents’ activities of daily living (ADL), such as hygiene, optimal functioning, well-being and feeding
Personal Support Worker routines and practices in a retirement care setting
Infection control guidelines
Lifting, transferring and positioning techniques
Rehabilitation and palliative approaches
Legislative regulations and policies related to retirement care
Changes in mobility of seniors and mechanical lifting devices
Applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers
Competencies, Skills & Abilities:
Ability to contribute effectively as a team member
Ability to treat residents with dignity, respect and care
Strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
Ability to develop rapport with residents and their families
Ability to organize and prioritize workload
Ability to follow resident care plan and carry out activities as directed
Ability to report resident needs through observation of their condition/behaviour
Ability to follow safety procedures to maintain a safe and clean environment
Ability to apply lifting, transferring and positioning techniques
Ability to maintain confidentiality of resident information
Ability to work in a flexible environment to meet the needs of the residents, including weekend and holiday coverage, as required
Demonstrates a strong desire to serve and care for seniors
Open, friendly and responsive
Able to apply tact, discretion and sound judgement
Trustworthy, empathetic, reliable, punctual and adaptable
Meets the physical demands of the job
Shows initiative and commitment to excellence
Client service oriented
Courses in gerontology, aging or dementia are an asset
Position Vacant Until Filled